Sometimes we wonder how we made it! There’s no doubt that we made hundreds of mistakes. It’s a good thing we didn’t know about all of them then or we might not have made it through.
We had the freedom to explore on our own and now, we depend on technology what’s missed in the process is inquisitive behaviour of the child. My 5 year old whenever he asks me a question and if my response is, i will have to look and will get back to you later. He says, google it now. The only reason he is asking me is the fact that he is still learning to write and read. What matters the most for learning as kid is the discovery process – the path to get to solution teaches us many things. With technology that the piece the kids are missing the most.
Technology is great and yes, helping us in our day to day more than ever before – though access of anything has its own repercussions. Here are few pointers to look at when child is exposed to high screen time it can be TV or mobile.
- It may interfere with sleep.
- It may cut into family time/person-to-person interaction
- It may encourage short attention span.
- It may lead to less physical activity.
- It may expose kids to inappropriate content.
There are many options when it comes to finding alternative forms of entertainment. Letting kids use technology with limits can be achievable if you keep some of these key tips in mind.
- Limit screen time. Whether it’s one hour of TV and video games a day or a couple of hours a week, limit the amount of time your child spends watching TV or playing video games and stick to that number.
- Opt for alternatives to technology activities. Find great ways to spend family time together without tech devices, such as by playing board games or reading good books.